7.28.2012

My Dog's Savings Account

Yes, you read it right. My dog, Kujo, has a savings account. I started this account when he was just two months old. After reading about pet insurance I had mixed feelings about sending money to a company for insurance I may never need or wondering if they'll cover certain emergencies. Instead, I decided to open a high-yield savings account online.

Kujo at 8 weeks old.
July 2009
I started the account with $300 and contribute $25 per month to the account. By the time Kujo is 10 years old, he'll have $3000. Even if we never use the money in the account for Kujo's future vet bill, we can always use it for something else or for another dog.

Our boys, Phidan and Kujo. Thanksgiving at Grandma's house.
November 2011
For Kujo's annual vet visits, I budget $200 per year that's paid out of my own pocket. His dog food and toys are also budgeted and paid for by me. Good thing Kujo is a medium-size terrier. He doesn't eat that much and doesn't require a lot of toys to be happy. He's also a mutt, so he'll probably have little, if any, health problems.

What do you for your pets? Do they have their own savings account?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything is open for discussion. Please be respectful of other's opinions. Thanks!